Friday, June 17, 2011

a jet plane and a big idea.

Once again, a few months later, I am re-discovering that I have a blog that I can write stuff on and have people read it! Whenever I start writing again I feel like I always have some excuse as to why I haven't written in awhile: too busy, too tired, too drained, too brain dead. I am, however, none of those things at this moment, which is probably why I am suddenly motivated to write, for the first time since becoming a college graduate, at 10:11 on a Friday night, a time when any other single 20-something would probably be out. Whatever.

Blah blah blah I graduated college. Blah blah blah I don't have a job. You've heard it all before.

I have decided to move to Berkeley, California, where maybe I will go out on Friday nights. Maybe.

This decision came out of a Sunday night jaunt downtown with two college friends, we were sitting at a round table in What Ales You, scouting out the absolutely non-existent scene when my sister texted me: 'even if you don't get the job, you should still move here.' In that moment of underwhelmed desperation, I texted back, sooner than I probably should have, 'okay. call me tomorrow.' The next morning, over a breakfast of bagels with Tofutti, scrambled eggs, and black coffee, I announced to my parents and best friend and roommate, that yes, I am going to move across the country to live with my sister just because, 'I am bored.' Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Since then, I still don't know if I have the job in question (I'll find out next week!) and I am still pumped about my decision. However, I am having those trippy internal moments when I space out for too long and suddenly get really upset that I am leaving the gorgeous state of Vermont. Thank god when those happen Christina is there to say 'it is the people you will miss,and we won't be here for much longer. Hopefully.' Last night was a perfect example, sitting on Church Street, nursing my one dollar PBR, moping with Sam and Christina and joking that I should start a Twitter account entitled 'ProblemsoftheUnemployed' (think about that one for a second, I would have like 500 followers just from the name alone!), when all of a sudden I envisioned my world legitimately crumbling and leaving me in a mass of rumble and discarded shoes. Sam told me it was a great thing that I was moving to a giant fault line. I ignored that.

Although I currently have a small bank account, I have a big heart and a big mind and a big desire, and those are things money can't buy. Soon I'll have a job, and an apartment I can call my own, and some friends maybe, probably some plants to fill the apartment with oxygen, a sweet bike to ride around in, some great experiences, and a new West Coast Best Coast outlook. And hey, if things don't work out, I can always move back East.

Enjoy the mov(i)e.

No comments:

Post a Comment