Monday, November 2, 2009

and you in your autumn sweater

I always realize how much I miss fall in Vermont and Upstate New York on days like this, when there is a perfect crispy chill and the breeze wrinkles through the trees just enough to allow one or two golden leaves to float away. Fall, or shall I say Autumn, in England is nothing like Autumn in the Northeast. There are no leaves to crunch on or run through, there is no hazy orange tinge to the light around 4:30 PM (it is currently 5:05 PM here and is just about dark), there are no pumpkins, and sadly there is no left over Halloween candy. So on a day like this, when it almost feels like a proper New England (or Upstate) fall, I get super excited!

The sound track to the day changed between A.M by Wilco (who I happen to be seeing tomorrow night WORD) and Yo La Tengo's fantastic tracks 'Autumn Sweater' and 'Our Way to Fall'. It was a day of finishing and beginning, of fresh crisp air mixed with the stress of coursework deadlines, of preparing for my week away full of new adventures while being nostalgic about past memories. It was a day of red cheeks and aimless wanders while being extremely focused internally. In essence, it qualified as a Fall day in Vermont, without the piles of leaves to crunch.

For your ear's enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAaeKo09ey8&feature=related
'Our way to fall' and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgSjn_5L5xo 'autumn sweater'

And to leave you with a little poetic somethan' somethan', courtesy of Ira Kaplan:

When I heard the knock on the door
I couldn't catch my breath
Is it too late to call this off

We could slip away, wouldn't that be better
Me with nothing to say, and you in your autumn sweater

I tried my best to hide
In a crowded room, it's nearly possible
I wait for you, oh, most patiently

So I looked for your eyes
And the waves looked like they'd pour right out of them
I'll try hard, I'll try always
But it's a waste of time
It's a waste of time if I can't smile easily
Like in the beginning
In the beginning...



Enjoy the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment