Monday, November 9, 2009

you were right about the stars

each one is a setting sun.

first Wilco show- Flynn Theatre, BTV, grade 8, with mom, the year Yankee Hotel Foxtrot dropped. Front row balcony seats, went crazy when 'Heavy Metal Drummer' was played. That was when I first realized that I was massively in love with Jeff Tweedy.

second Wilco show- Shelburne Museum, summer after grade 12. Excellent outdoor venue, family friendly picnic-ing. When I realized I would do anything to be Jeff Tweedy's number one groupie.

third Wilco show- Leeds, England, UK, junior year. Tightest show yet. Amazing. When I realized I would give anything to be a part of Jeff Tweedy's family (preferably wife, marry me now). The set list:

1. Wilco (The Song) 2. A Shot In The Arm 3. Bull Black Nova 4. You Are My Face 5. One Wing 6. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart 7. Muzzle Of Bees 8. Radio Cure 9. Impossible Germany 10. I'll Fight 11. Handshake Drugs 12. Sonny Feeling 13. Jesus, Etc. 14. Theologians 15. I'm The Man Who Loves You 16. Hummingbird // E1: 17. Poor Places 18. Spiders (Kidsmoke) // E2: 19. Hate It Here 20. Walken 21. Heavy Metal Drummer 22. Can't Stand It 23. I'm A Wheel

I don't think I stopped moving the entire show. Highlights: when Tweedy called an audience member out for acting upset, then apologized with 'sorry you had to see my angry face'. When Glenn Kotche (the super talented, super fly drummer) arose holding his sticks in the power position. When 'Poor Places' fused into 'Spiders (kidsmoke)'. When they would turn to one another and have private jam sessions on stage. Any time Tweedy opened his mouth. Epic.

There is a certain high that one feels after seeing a great show. It is a combination of awe, of endorphins courtesy of the endless dancing and body movin', being in love with the main singer, and pure love and amazement at the fact that individuals are so creative and able to throw together tiny masterpieces one chord at a time. So many emotions during that show- raw, unquestioned happiness, bittersweet memories fused with small regrets of that one summer, amazement, and finally waves of physical and emotional tiredness from loving and feeling so intensely. It is amazing that watching 6 middle-aged men playing instruments on a well-lit stage can do that to do you.

Enjoy the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment