Saturday, August 14, 2010

the stars will rise again.

MGMT at the Burlington waterfront as part of the Lake Champlain Maritime festival was terrible. It really truly saddens me to say that, but eh, you can't win them all. This is what happened:

1. Gorgeous night in BTV, hit up Manhattan pizza and mosey down to the waterfront.
2. Meet up with the high school buds, hit up the beer tent, which had Harpoon Summer IPA. I'm set.
3. Observe wanna be hipster 12 year olds wearing butt-bearing short shorts and chain smoking. Huh.
4. Instantly become surrounded by gaggles of these goofs, and try to come up for air, only to witness butt-grabbing by a couple half my height. Ugh. Back to beer tent.
5. The opener, Violens, were actually great, and loved the lake. Check them out here: http://www.violens.net/ and download a free summer mix tape. AWESOME! They were into it, I was into it, and the teeny boppers were doing their thing.
6. Break and stage change, wandered around enjoying the stalls selling stuff, ate Lucy's Kettle Corn, and ran into people I hadn't seen in ages.
7. The bar mitzvah-aged crew multiplied, and we somehow ended up next to a whole group all of whom were already dancing. oh no.
8. MGMT opened with a mellow "Pieces of What," which I loved, but made the teeny people nervous, because they didn't know that one. In fact, the only ones they did know were "The Three."
9. This is why the concert sucked: the crowd sucked. I am not saying that to be a stuck-up musical elitist, but they did. Bands, especially good ones like MGMT have more songs that then three most popular ones, so before you go to a concert, listen to their albums. Don't stand their complaining that you don't know any songs, because all 1,000 teeny boppers complaining at once means that other people trying to enjoy the show can't hear.
10. To the group next to me: if you continue to smoke that much, you probably won't live too long. Also, next time put on some clothes and for god's sake PLEASE never elbow anybody in the hip again. I have a nice tennis-ball bruise, "thanks girllll."
11. What I did enjoy: "Pieces of What," "Weekend Wars,""The Handshake," the three (of course), "Congratulations""The Youth." Wished you had dug out "Indie Rokkers" though, and where was "Future Reflections"???
12. I like bands with energy. I knew MGMT was pretty spaced out in general, but I somehow I expected more. Great encore though, I'll give you that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa68DLIgQfM


Enjoy "the call to arms to live and love and sleep together..."

All in all, a disappointment. But, that is just my view, "if you feel it, I'm a believer."

No comments:

Post a Comment