Sunday, August 8, 2010

you know the routine.


Like with most things in my life right now, I decided that I needed some direction with this blog. I thought about what I am interested in (which is only interesting things, of course) and what it came down to was this: words, music, fashion, films with quirky people in them, environmentally conscious living, and cracking jokes. Clearly, I am interested in many interesting things.

So, even though there a bunch of blogs about all of the above, I decided I would try my hand at making this blog one more devoted to the culture of everyday life. That means random music reviews, random film reviews, random fashion reviews, etc. I will still have my random life rantings too!

And so to begin. Last night I fell in love with technicolor images being projected from my TV onto my eyeballs. Context: I was social for about 45 minutes, which is probably my max currently, and met an old friend for drinks in Burlington. Then he went off, and I got sushi and drove home listening to 3 different renditions of "Wild World" and trying not to get toooo annoyed at the out of stater who thought the speed limit was 25 miles an hour. I came home to an empty house, so plopped down on the couch with my tuna rolls and peanut noodles, and 'Youth in Revolt,' the film with Michael Cera, by Miguel Arteta. At first I was dubious (Sinatra, really? Slightly too cliche) but it was the dead-end images that grabbed me in, and the often too overt sexually overtones that give the whole film a hazy, burn-out feel. Enter Francois, Cera's evil without shame alter ego, in his white pants and cigarette glued to his lips, and the sexual overtones because sexual fury. Poor Nicky. I wasn't sure who to root for, Sheney and her conniving ways forcing Francois into a rat race out of his life, or Nicky, who only wants to prove himself to Sheney in a quite round-about and very illegal manner.

The soundtrack was a lo-fi, stoner one featuring Fruit Bats and Little Wings, which at times felt too sticky sweet, but made you fall for Cera in his too-short pants and too-tight logo tees that much more. The best music scene: Fatlip blasting from the convertible as Cera and his cougar mother and her boyfriend rolled into the trailer park, kicking up dust.

Cera confirms his hipster boy status in this film, and I confirmed my longings to redo high school, all the while telling myself it was okay not to be social for on yet another summer weekend.

Enjoy the eye candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment